OMAR, WV

Omar is the biggest coal camp on Island Creek. Main Island Creek Coal Company opened the mines at Omar in 1914-15, and it quickly became one of the largest enterprises in the Logan Coalfield. According to Coal Age, the lease was 30,000 acres, production in 1916 was about 12,000 tons per day, and almost 500 company houses were constructed. Several of the houses had running water and were plastered. Coal Age further described life at Omar: "Garbage disposal is taken care of by a steel tank wagon and collections are made daily. The management has purchased trees for the main streets and plants, flowers and shrubs for the most advantageous points. A model dairy is installed, and a wagon makes two deliveries a day. An uptodate [sic] ice-making plant with a capacity of 12 tons a day is housed in the basement of the store." The coal company awarded prizes to families with the most attractive and well-maintained yards.

In 1925 Main Island Creek sold the Omar mines to West Virginia Coal and Coke Corp., who employed 2000 employees at the Omar in 1934. That firm closed the Omar mines in 1954. It is unknown whether the mines were closed due to exhuastion of coal reserves, or because the coal market had fallen apart by then from the loss of markets such as steam trains switching to diesel, factories now operating on natural gas and oil, and commercial and residential heating customers switching to other forms of heating fuel. Whatever the reason, the mid-50's were a prosperous time for most of America, but not so great in many Appalachian coal towns. Many people left Central and Southern Appalachia and migrated to Akron, Cleveland, Detroit, etc. But that's another story.