JEROME, PA

Jerome mine and coal town were opened circa 1904 by United Coal Corporation. Eventually, hundreds of houses were constructed for the coal miners and thier families. By 1907 operations had been absorbed into Jenner-Quemahoning Coal Co. The portals were Jerome Shaft No. 1 and Shaft No. 2. Both shafts were driven into the Upper Kittanning coal seam. Circa 1917 Hillman Coal and Coke became the operators of the Jerome mines. They mined coal at Jerome until 1954, the year the mine closed and the company houses were sold to individuals. By the mid-1960s the tipple had been torn down, and the slate dump was reclaimed around 1990.

Source:

Fitzsimons, Gray, editor. Somerset County, Pennsylvania; An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites. 1994.