HOME>WESTERN PA>WINDBER COALFIELD>EUREKA 42

EUREKA NO. 42, PA

www.addlikebutton.net


Inscription over the sealed, partially covered No. 42 Mine portal. The mine operated from 1907 until 1951 by the Berwind-White Coal Mining Company. (Apr. 2009 image by author)


This stone building near the portal was the mine's car barn, but is now a social club. Besides the portal, it is the only remaining structure from the mine. (Apr. 2009 image by author)


Although the No. 42 mine began production in 1907, HABS/HAER research reveals that these workers' houses weren't built until after 1910. (Apr. 2009 image by author)


Eureka No. 42 company store, stable, and slaughterhouse. (Apr. 2009 image by author)


Also this first aid station survives at No. 42, and is located across the street from the company store. (Apr. 2009 image by author)


The school for No. 42 patch is closed and dilapidated. (Apr. 2009 image by author)


(Apr. 2009 image by author)


Aerial view of Eureka 42, PA. Patch houses are at left, school is at top, company store and stable is in the center, and slate dump is on the right.



Home

History of coal mining. History of Pennsylvania. History of Somerset County Pennsylvania. History of Cambria County Pennsylvania. History of Westmoreland County Pennsylvania. History of Blair County Pennsylvania. History of Bedford County Pennsylvania. History of Pittsburgh. History of Johnstown. Kittanning Coal Seam. Historic Pictures. Historic Photographs. Historic books. Historic Maps. Pittsburgh history publications. History. Johnstown Polish immigrants. Johnstown Slovak immigrants. Johnstown Italian immigrants. Pittsburgh immigrants. Pittsburgh polka music. Pennsylvania polka music. Pittsburgh culture. Pittsburgh food. Pennsylvania pieroige. Historic architecture. Historic buildings. Historic towns. Organized labor. Unions. United Mine workers. Archives. Conemaugh River. Youghioghenyt River. River tourism. Pittsburgh tourism. Laurel Highlands.