LECKRONE, PA


On the left is the company store, and on the right in the background are the ruins of the beehive coke ovens. The Leckrone mine was opened in 1889 as a captive mine of Illinois Steel. In 1903 HC Frick Coal and Coke added Leckrone to their portfolio.


Detail of the rubblestone foundation of the company store.


Detail of the "ice house" next to the company store.


A snapshot from Virtual Earth shows Leckrone to be a typical Fayette County patch: Duplex houses, with additions and some chimneys removed, empty lots where some houses have been torn down.


Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Leckrone, constructed in 1910.


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME