HOME>WESTERN PA>KLONDIKE COALFIELD>GATES

GATES, PA


Gates was a captive mine of American Steel and Wire Co. It was named after John W. Gates, a "higher up" in that company. From right to left: patch houses, the company store, and - across the Monongahela River in Greene County - the slate dump of the neighboring Nemacolin patch. (Dec. 2007 image by author)


Former Union Supply Company store and patch houses. Though Gates was founded in 1907, this company store may have been constructed at a later date. It is simalar to one that was at Palmer, PA and is still in existence at Filbert, PA. (Dec. 2007 image by author)


Gates duplex patch houses, with the Nemacolin gob pile in the background. Two or three of the patch houses have been demolished and replaced with a single-wide mobile home. (Dec. 2007 image by author)


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME