HOME>WESTERN PA>KLONDIKE COALFIELD>FOOTEDALE

FOOTEDALE, PA

www.addlikebutton.net


A Footedale garden that won first prize in one of Frick Coke Company's lawn and garden contests. (Circa 1912 American Iron and Steel Institute image via Google Books)


Coal and coke workers at Footedale were housed in these two-family duplex houses, like most other Connellsville region patches. Footedale was opened in 1900 by the Eureka Fuel Co., a subsidiary of the Illinois Steel Co., which later evolved into Federal Steel Co. Footedale was named for the president of Eureka: Charles Foote. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


This company house still features a great deal of authenticity. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


St. Thomas R.C. Church on the edge of Footedale. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


Ash piles and the only surviving building from the coal and coke complex. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


The building next to the coke yard has a slate roof. The ruins of the coke ovens are also there. Only the back of the beehives survives. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


A look inside the building reveals that no equipment remains. By the 1920s H.C. Frick Coke Co. was the owner of Footedale. At this time coal began to be shipped via the underground beltline to the Palmer Docks and on to USS's Clairon by-product ovens. The Footedale mine closed during World War II. (Oct. 2004 image by author)


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME