HOME>WESTERN PA>CONNELLSVILLE COALFIELD>WYNN

WYNN, PA


Former Union Supply Store (coal company store) at Wynn, PA, a coke patch built in the 1880s. One of the earliest operators at Wynn was J. W. Moore & Company. Later H.C. Frick Coke Co. added Wynn to their coke empire. Union Supply Company was the retail subsidiary of H.C. Frick Coal & Coke Co., which itself was later a subsidiary of US Steel. (Sep. 2005 image by author)


Gardens in the Wynn patch over a century ago. (Circa 1912 American Iron and Steel Institute image via Google Books)


A watering hose for quenching coke left in one of the Wynn coke ovens, which are some of the best preserved in Fayette County. The coal mine at Wynn was closed in 1926, but these ovens were kept in blast by the Ruane Coal and Coke Co. into the mid 1950's. (Dec. 2002 image by author)


A Covington coke pulling machine in operation at Wynn long ago. (Image from The Coal Trade Bulletin via Google Books)


A brick silo behind the ovens. (January 2015 image by Mike Mance at coalandcoke.blogspot.com)


(Dec. 2002 image by author)


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME