UNITED, PA


Coal and Coke patch at United, PA, which was built in 1881 by the United Coal and Coke Co.


Patch housing at United, where the H.C. Frick Coke Co. took over operations in 1895 and closed the coal mine and coke ovens in 1930.


Ruins of the tipple and engine house at United.


Detail of the coke oven ruins at United reveal a portion of the original cut stone facade of the ovens. There are at least 50 ovens left at United, though none have a front.


This frozen pond may have served the United coke ovens, because many coke works maintained a reservoir near their operations for quenching.


WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME