HOME>WESTERN PA>CONNELLSVILLE COALFIELD>STANDARD

STANDARD, PA


This patch is Standard, next to the borough of Mt. Pleasant, built in 1878 by the A. A. Hutchinson & Brothers Company. Standard held the record for the largest coke yard in the world. There were 999 beehive coke ovens at there. Standard probably held the record for town with the worst air quality, too. (Aug. 2002 image by author)


The company store at Standard, PA has been recycled into an auto parts store. Part of the company housing is to the left. (Dec. 2002 image by author)


The Standard coke yard is idle on this day in 1929. Note the huge ash pile behind the ovens. (Image courtesy Coal and Coke Heritage Center, Penn State Eberly Campus)


More of the Standard patch. In 1883 the mine and coke ovens at Standard were purchased by, you guessed it, H.C. Frick Coke Co. The mine didn't close until 1931. (Aug. 2002 image by author)


This tipple and hoist house for Standard Shaft No. 2 mine are no longer existing. The dormer windows are a nice touch. (Image courtesy USX Resources, scanned by author)


Company houses at Standard Shaft. (Dec. 2002 image by author)


Miners' families' gardens at Standard. (Circa 1912 American Iron and Steel Institute image via Google Books)



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME