HOME>WESTERN MARYLAND>GEORGES CREEK COALFIELD>MIDLOTHIAN

MIDLOTHIAN, MD

The Midlothian coal mining village was constructed by the New Central Coal Co. in the 1870s, although there was (non-coal) settlement at the site before then. In 1905 the Borden Mining Company and the Bowery Mining Company were operating mines at Midlothian. Early in the 1920's the Piedmont and Georges Creek Coal Company, the Midlothian Coal Company and the McNitt Coal Company were actively mining at Midlothian


These three brick buildings were once part of the Midlothian coal mine complex. They were once a pump station, a weigh station, and stables. They have been nicely preserved and repurposed. (Apr. 2018 image by author)


Midlothian coal company houses. (Apr. 2018 image by author)


The sagging Midlothian Post Office was Willet's General Store. (Apr. 2018 image by author)


Source(s):

Dorsey, David A. “Midlothian Survey District Inventory Form For State Historic Sites Survey.” Maryland Historical Trust, Annapolis, Md., Apr. 1982.


WESTERN MARYLAND COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME