HOME>WESTERN MARYLAND>GEORGES CREEK COALFIELD>MISCELLANEOUS

GEORGES CREEK COALFIELD - MISC.


It seems wherever one looks throughout the Georges Creek Coalfield, he or she can still catch a glimpse of a strip mine, like this one near Mount Savage. (July 2003 image by author)


Detail of construction of a coal company house at Klondike, MD (originally called "Lord"). Klondike was the coal camp that housed families of miners at the Consolidation Coal Co. Mine No. 7, which opened in 1897. This huge mine once employed over 1000 men, who mined as much as 5,700 tons of Big Vein coal per day. It was the largest underground mine that ever existed in the Georges Creek Coalfield until its closure in 1924. In the 1907 Maryland "Mine Inspector's Annual Report" Conol's Ocean No. 7 mine was described as "the banner mine of this Company, and of the State, and perhaps of the whole country ... There is more coal mined here by machines than at any other operation in the State, in fact more than all other operations in the State taken together." (July 1981 image by Dave Dorsey, Maryland State Archives)


Remains of a small wooden coal tipple near Mount Savage that dated back to the 1930's. (Oct. 1980 image by David Dorsey, Maryland State Archives)


The abandoned tipple of the Consolidation Coal Co. Ocean No. 1 mine. The tipple likely did not survive too many more years after this photo was taken, but a fan shaft from Ocean No. 1 was still in existence in the 1980's. It is probable that all vestiges of Ocean No. 1 mine has been reclaimed now. (1969 image by Don Biggs via Western Maryland Railway)


Ancient picture of the Ocean No. 1 colliery. Mining here began in the 1850's by the Ocean Steam Coal Co. Consolidation Coal Co. absorbed Ocean Steam Coal in the 1860's, and the mine came under Consol's ownership. Ocean No. 1 produced until the 1940's. Most people would associate the 150+ year old Consolidation Coal Co. (now Consol Energy) with Pennsylvania, but this is where they got their start. (Image by others)


Ventilation fan left over from Consolidation Coal's Ocean No. 1 Mine. (Image by David Ames, HAER, Library of Congress)


A former coal town named, Pekin, Maryland, which was laid out in 1867. Pekin may best be remembered as home to the Piedmont Mining Co. To the left of the photo is the former Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad (later Western Maryland Railway). (Sep. 1981 image by David Dorsey, Maryland State Archives)


These mine ventilation ruins were still in existence when the Historical American Engineering Record photographed them, but were scheduled for demolition and reclaimation later that same year. The site is that of Consolidation Coal Company Mine No. 11, which closed in 1955. (1993 image by John Herr, Courtesy of the Historic American Engineering Record [HAER])


Detail of the Lepley Ventilator, described as "one of the few centrifugal mine ventilation fans in the eastern United States." It did not survive, however. (1993 image by John Herr, Courtesy of the Historic American Engineering Record [HAER])


The other fan that was at the site, this Aerovane fan, was manufactured by the La-Del Conveyor and Manufacturing Company and installed in 1940. (1993 image by John Herr, Courtesy of the Historic American Engineering Record [HAER])


Abandoned Phoenix Big Vein Coal Co. tipple at Phoenix, MD. This was between Barton and Franklin, and has probably been reclaimed by now. (Image courtesy Maryland State Archives)


A small portion of the Georges Creek Coalfield extends into Somerset County, Pa.


Company houses on the north side of Wellersburg, PA; probably built by the Georges Creek and Bald Knob Coal Company. This company must have spent too much money building the company town; long inclined plane; tipple; and locomotive and equipment, because in 1907 it was reported, "The enormous outlay of money and seeming disregard of expense has placed this company in the hands of receivers, and what might have been a profitable operation has turned out to be a considerable waste of money." Later the Brailer Mining Co. operated the "Bald Knob Mine." This mine was reported to have been abandoned by 1926. (Google Street View image)

Another coal mine and patch town was located at Williams, Pa. This was the Glade City mine of the Savage Fire Brick Company.

WESTERN MARYLAND COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME