HOME>WESTERN MARYLAND>GEORGES CREEK COALFIELD>BORDEN MINES

BORDEN SHAFT & BORDEN MINES, MD

The Borden Mining Company began mining coal in the 1840's. Borden Shaft mine was the only shaft mine in the Georges Creek Coalfield. By October 1853 Borden Mining Co. was already shipping over 1,800 tons a coal per week. Borden Shaft mine later became Consolidation Coal Co. Mine No. 11, and this mine finally closed in 1937.

While Borden Shaft is a located south of Frostburg, Borden Mining Co. also constructed Borden Mines on the north side of Frostburg in the 1890's. However, by 1907 the operator of the Borden Mine was listed in the Maryland "Mine Inspector's Annual Report" as H. & W. A. Hitchens Coal Co.


These remaining coal company housing at Borden Shaft were built circa 1850. (July 2003 image by author)


Brick mine shaft elevator at Borden Mines. (Nov. 1976 image by John Nelson, Maryland State Archives)


Company houses that were still in existence at Borden Mines in the 1980's. (Oct. 1981 image by David Dorsey, Maryland State Archives)

WESTERN MARYLAND COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME