HOME>WESTERN MARYLAND>GEORGES CREEK COALFIELD>ALLEGANY MINES

ALLEGANY MINES / ZIHLMAN, MD

There were two mining companies at Allegany Mines.

Allegany Mining Co. opened the Allegany Mine just north of Frostburg way back in 1846. The company town began to take shape circa 1850. Allegany Mining Co. continued to mine coal here through the Civil War; through the great industrial expansion of America in the late 1800's; and right into the 20th Century, before going out of business in 1911. Shortly thereafter the Consolidation Coal Co. purchased the mine and coal camp at Allegany Mines.

The other coal company at Allegany Mines was the Borden Mining Co. (who also owned Borden Shaft mine and town south of Frostburg). Borden constructed housing for their mining families beginning in the 1850's, and retained ownership of their company houses at Allegany Mines all the way to 1951.

Allegany Mines, MD is sometimes known as Zihlman.


These company houses, originally built by the Borden Mining Co., were originally two-family duplexes. Most have been converted into single family dwellings by now. (Google Street View image)


A row of coal camp homes. (Dec. 1980 image by David Dorsey, Maryland State Archives)


Here is a photo of a few company houses from a section of Allegany Mines named "Dutch Row." These coal camp homes could possibly date back as far as the 1850's. (Feb. 1981 image by David Dorsey, Maryland State Archives)

WESTERN MARYLAND COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME