HOME>SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA>BIG STONE GAP COALFIELD>TRAMMEL

TRAMMEL, VIRGINIA

Trammel was built in 1918-1919 by the Virginia Banner Coal Corporation. After being briefly operated by Wakenva Coal Co., Trammel became the property of Vance L. Bird in the 1930's. Bird named his company the Big Banner Coal Corporation. Mining was in the Upper Banner and Lower Banner coal seams. In 1986, after Bird and his wife had died, Trammel residents formed the Trammel Homeowners Association, which raised more than $90,000 to help residents purchase their homes, which they had been renting.

www.addlikebutton.net


Former Virginia Banner Coal Corp. company store in Trammel. The coal companies at Trammel did not use the scrip system. (Nov. 2016 image by author)


Former coal company houses still in existence at Trammel. (Nov. 2016 image by author)


This larger structure at Trammel was the clubhouse. It has since been torn down. (Google Street View image)


A close look at this rown of coal company houses reveals that some of the original homes have been replaced by metal garages. (Nov. 2016 image by author)


Most Trammel houses have no driveways, so the residents park wherever they can. (Nov. 2016 image by author)

SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA COALFIELDS

APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME