HOME>SOUTHERN WV>NEW RIVER COALFIELD>RUSH RUN

RUSH RUN, WV

Yet another ghost town in the New River Gorge, Rush Run was established around 1889, the year the post office opened there. It closed in 1939. In the intervening years Rush Run was a booming coal mining community operated by the Rush Run Coal Company. The mine had closed by the 1940s. The Rush Run mine is best known for an explosion in March, 1905 that resulted in the death of 24 men (13 in the explosion and, a few hours later, all eleven of the rescue team).


The ruins of Rush Run are typical of the New River Gorge: stone foundations, old bottles, and a galvanized wash tub. There must be dozens of vintage wash tubs in the Gorge that no longer serve coal miners taking their "Saturday Night Bath." (Dec. 2006 image by author)


Instead of stone foundations, more common in the New River Gorge, these foundations are made from poured concrete. (Dec. 2006 image by author)


A chimny in the abandoned coal camp of Rush Run, WV. (Dec. 2006 image by author)


Amazingly, these coke ovens remain. (Dec. 2006 image by author)


Detail of the Rush Run coke ovens. (Dec. 2006 image by author)


Foundation ruins of the Rush Run tipple. (Dec. 2006 image by author)


SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA COALFIELDS


APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME