PEMBERTON

Pemberton is located on Soak Creek and was owned by the Pemberton Coal Co. Later the Lillybrook Coal Co. and Koppers Coal Co. simultaneously mined there, with each operating a company store. A few people still live there.


Where the C&O and Virginian railroads crossed


An old pump house remains from the coal mining operations at Pemberton.


An old wooden trestle near Pemberton. These are starting to get hard to find.


One of the last remaining historic homes in Pemberton, the Doctor Daniels house, burned in 2007.


The Amato Family came to the Winding Gulf Field from Sicily. They eventually settled in Pemberton, bought this house, raised it up, and put a store underneath. Later, Philip Gaziano operated his barbershop there.


This is the last wall of a store that burned in Pemberton. The store was owned by the late Sam Amato.


Sam Amato's store as it looked in 1965 (Thanks to Leonard S.)


A great old picture of the railroad depot (Virginian?) contributed by Leonard S. That is smoke from one of the slate dumps on the left.


A wedding party poses in front of one of the slate dumps in Pemberton in 1946: Front Row L to R-Rena DellaMea, bride and groom Theresa and Enrico Dellamea, his parents Maria and Pietro Dellamea; Back Row L to R: Louie, Gino, and Joe DellaMea


SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA COALFIELDS


APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME

History of coal mining. History of West Virginia. History of Raleigh County West Virginia. History of Coal. Research history. History of Beckley WV. Pocahontas Coal Seam. Historic Pictures. Historic Photographs. Genealogy research. Historic books. Historic Maps. Bluefield History. Beckley history publications. History. Polish immigrants. Slovak immigrants. Italian immigrants. West Virginia immigrants. Appalachian music. Appalachian culture. Ghost towns pictures. Geneology. archaeology. Historic architecture. Historic buildings. Historic towns. Organized labor. Unions. United Mine workers. Archives.