HOME>SOUTHERN WV>GREENBRIER COALFIELD>LESLIE

LESLIE

Leslie was named for Leslie Nelson, owner of the Nelson Fuel Co. Nelson Fuel opened the Leslie coal mines (No. 1 & No. 2) and mining camp in 1922. The New River & Pocahontas Consolidated Coal Co. purchased Leslie in 1928 and added it to their portfolio of mines in the Pocahontas Field and New River Field. New River & Pocahontas closed the Leslie mines in 1950.



The main drag through the coal camp. (Apr. 2001 image by author)


The remnants of the vault of the bank at Leslie. (Apr. 2001 image by author)


The remaining company houses at Leslie have been altered with porch enclosures, etc. (Image by othrs)


SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA COALFIELDS


APPALACHIAN COALFIELDS HOME

History of coal mining. History of West Virginia. History of Greenbrier County West Virginia. History of Fayette County West Virginia. History of Nicholas County. History of Rainelle WV. Sewell Coal Seam. Historic Pictures. Historic Photographs. Historic books. Historic Maps. Richwood History. Beckley history publications. History. West Virginia immigrants. Appalachian music. Appalachian culture. West Virginia tourism. Historic architecture. Historic buildings. Historic towns. Organized labor. Unions. United Mine workers. Archives.