Berwind, WV

The Berwind family was experienced in building large scale coal mining camps in Western Pennsylvania under the name Berwind-White Coal Company. When they decided to expand into Southern West Virginia they called their company New River and Pocahontas Consolidated Coal Company. N.R.& P.C.C.Co. No. 1 and No. 2 mines were located at Berwind, a company town that the coal barons named for themselves. A store, bank, theatre, post office, clubhouse, Union Church, and Catholic Church were also constructed. The first coal was shipped from Berwind in 1906. At some point in history coke ovens were constructed in Berwind. In 1961 Pocahontas Fuel Company became the operators of the Berwind operation, and they closed it down for good in 1967. Today the tipple site is totally reclaimed.

New River & Pocahontas Consolidated Coal Company also operated other McDowell County coal mines, such as the ones at Canebrake and Capels; as well as the large Kaymoor, Minden, and Layland mines in the New River Coalfield.