GRANT TOWN

The coal mine at Grant Town, Marion County, West Virginia was built by Federal Coal and Coke Company in 1901. Grant Town was named after Federal's vice president Robert Grant. Circa 1916 Federal Coal & Coke sold Federal No. 1 to New England Fuel and Transporation Company, which was headquartered in Boston Mass. Even at the bottom of the Great Depression, in 1931 and '32, this firm shipped over 1,000,000 tons of coal annually. New England Fuel advertised Federal No. 1 coal as being a 14,300 BTU coal "suitable for the manufacture of illuminating gas, for use in by-product ovens, steel, cement, and brick plants, and for locomotive use; in fact, for all purposes where a strong long flame gas coal is desired." Later, from 1934 until 1947, Koppers Coal Company (at this mine Koppers Coal & Transportation Co.) operated the Federal No. 1 mine. Koppers coal was affiliated with the Koppers company, who specialized in the by-products captured when burining coal into coke. Koppers's mines in West Virginia and Pennsylvania were purchased by Eastern Fuel and Gas Associates in 1947. This firm later morphed into Eastern Associated Coal Co. In 1967 Federal No. 1 produced over 3 millon tons of Pittsburgh seam coal. Federal No. 1 mine was finally closed in 1985 after a whopping 84 years of production.